Taking the initiative and being prepared is important to a positive patient-doctor partnership. The relationship you have with your doctor is an important aspect of getting good health care. Here are a few tips for how to take an active role in your care plan.
Prepare these lists for your doctor:
- All symptoms
- Your medications
- Habits or lifestyle changes
Use your time wisely
- Rank your list of concerns and talk about your top three first.
- Be honest with your doctor.
- Give information instead of waiting to be asked.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions.
Develop a good relationship with your doctor
Research has shown that patients who develop good relationships with their doctors are more satisfied with their overall care. Working as a team with your doctor could lead to:
- Diagnosing ailments faster
- Regaining strength sooner
- Being healthier overall