Daily tasks can be dangerous during winter weather. Between icy walkways and shoveling, injuries are common. It may not be possible to escape the weather, but there are ways to prevent slipping or falls. Knowing how to stay safe when venturing out can make a difference.
It’s best to avoid shoveling if possible. But if you can’t, here are some safety tips:
- Warm up your muscles before you go outside.
- Push the snow. If you have to lift it, then do so with your legs and not your back.
- Pace yourself and shovel a little snow at a time. You’ll be less likely to hurt yourself.
- Do not twist to move snow. Be sure to shovel it in front of your body only.
How to stay safe on ice
Always be on the lookout for icy patches and avoid them. If you do step on ice, here are some helpful tips for staying on your feet:
- Walk slowly, bending your knees slightly.
- Walk sideways on inclines.