Lasagna is often a go-to recipe for family dinners. It's easy and delicious, but can be unhealthy. Why not try this healthier twist on the standard recipe? It's sure to be a hit.
½ pound cooked lasagna noodles, cooked in unsalted water
¾ cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, grated
1 ½ cups cottage cheese, fat-free*
¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
1 ½ cups raw zucchini, sliced
2 ½ cups low-sodium tomato sauce
2 TSP basil, dried
2 TSP oregano, dried
¼ cup onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/8 TSP black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a 9-by-13 inch baking dish with vegetable oil spray.
- In a small bowl, combine ⅛ cup mozzarella and 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese with all the cottage cheese. Mix well and set aside.
- Combine tomato sauce with all remaining ingredients, except zucchini. Spread a thin layer of tomato sauce in the bottom of the baking dish. Add a layer of cooked noodles. Spread half of the cottage cheese mixture on top. Add a layer of zucchini.
- Repeat layering until you’ve used all ingredients. Top with a layer of sauce and remaining cheese mixture. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes. Cool for 10 to 15 minutes. Cut into six portions.
*To reduce sodium, use low-sodium cottage cheese. New sodium content for each serving is 165 mg.