Learn how Medicare works
What is Medicare?
Medicare is a health care program run by the federal government.
There are different parts to Medicare:
- Part A covers hospital care; most people get Part A when they sign up for Medicare.
- Part B helps cover doctor services and outpatient care.
- Part C plans cover all Medicare Parts A and B benefits, and most offer more.
- Part D covers prescription drug coverage.
How do I qualify for Medicare?
You qualify for Medicare if:
- You’re age 65 or older and a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident.
- You’re under 65 and living with certain disabilities.
- You have end-stage renal disease (your kidneys can no longer work well enough to keep you alive).
What kinds of Medicare plans are there?
Medicare plans offered by private insurance companies cover a wide range of benefits. But they come in three basic types:
- Plans that cover the same as Original Medicare. Most add prescription drugs, vision and hearing. They’re called Part C or Medicare Advantage plans.
- Plans that cover Medicare prescription drugs. These are known as Part D plans.
- Plans that cover costs that Original Medicare doesn’t cover. They’re known as Medicare supplement plans, or Medigap plans.
Want to learn more?
At OptumCare, we can help. If you’re looking to learn more or need help comparing plans, see below.
Talk with an agent
Call the Optum Sales Support Center. We’ll connect you with knowledgeable licensed insurance agents. They’re friendly and supportive, and trained to help you find a plan that’s right for you.
Monday through Friday
8 a.m.–5 p.m. local time
A representative from Optum Sales Support Center can connect you with a licensed insurance agent in your area to review your health insurance plan options. *
Get answers online
Find answers to many common questions.
We’re ready to help. Call our friendly Customer Care Advocates today at 1-844-808-3565.
*Optum Sales Support Center connects Medicare beneficiaries with resources including licensed insurance agents that sell Medicare Advantage and Medicare Prescription Drug Plans.