Thank you for choosing Optum California. Your journey toward better health starts here. We know that when you are healthier and feel well, you can live your life to the fullest.
At Optum, your health care team puts you at the center. Your primary care doctor leads your team, adding specialists or support services as you need them. We handle the details so you can focus on your health.
Ready to get the care you need? It’s easy to:
- Find a primary care doctor. We can help you select a doctor, change doctors or connect you with your doctor.
- Schedule your first visit.
- Get ready for your first appointment.
- Find urgent care centers and hospitals near you.
- Find out more about health plans we accept.
If you need more information, call the clinic that you want to go to. Or visit our patient support page.
Having a long-term primary care doctor has great value. They know you and your history, so they can recognize changes in your health. Your primary care doctor cares for you as an entire person (physical, mental and emotional).
A primary care doctor can:
- Offer routine care, like physicals, prescription refills and shots
- Care for common illnesses, like colds, flu, ear pain and sore throats
- Help monitor long-term problems, like diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol
- Help with minor injuries, like sprains, back pain, broken bones, cuts and burns
- Help you learn how to stay in your best shape
- Find you the right specialist when you need one
Questions to ask yourself when looking for a primary care doctor:
- Do you want to see a doctor, nurse practitioner or physician assistant?
- Do you prefer a female or male provider?
- Which location do you want to go to?
- Do you prefer a more formal communication style or a casual one?
- Are you looking strictly for care or do you want advice on staying healthy?
If you need help choosing a primary care doctor, visit our patient support page.OR
Let us help you form a long-lasting, trusting relationship with a primary care doctor. It starts by deciding what type of care is right for you. For example:
- Family medicine doctors care for the entire family.
- Pediatricians care for newborns through age 18.
- You also can choose to see a doctor, nurse practitioner or physician assistant.
This depends on your health insurance plan. You might need to get a referral from your doctor before you can see a specialist. If so, your doctor will send the necessary paperwork to your health plan or medical network.
Call your doctor's office for more information about referrals. Or visit our patient support page.OR