Some minor operations, tests and procedures can be done as outpatient surgery. This means that you don’t need to stay overnight in a hospital. Outpatient surgery is sometimes called same-day or ambulatory surgery.
Outpatient surgery is for many types of medical problems. Doctors use less-intensive drugs that put patients in a sleep-like state for a short time. They also have new ways to manage pain and make smaller cuts. All of these things help patients feel better faster and go home the same day.
We offer outpatient surgery for several medical problems, including:
- Colonoscopy (an exam of the inside of the large intestine)
- Cataract surgery (to remove a cloudy lens from the eye)
- Skin cancer (to remove cancerous moles and some tissue around them)
- Lumpectomy (to remove a cancerous lump in the breast and some tissue around it)
- Appendectomy (to remove the appendix, a small tube that branches off the large intestine)
- Tonsillectomy (to remove one or both tonsils in the back of the mouth)
If you need outpatient surgery, your primary care doctor or specialist will help you schedule it at a location near you. We have outpatient surgery centers in Long Beach and Huntington Beach. Talk to your primary care doctor about what other locations are near you.
If you need more information or want to tour a surgery center, call 1-562-988-7108, TTY 711.