Healthy summertime picnic ideas
With careful planning, you can create a nutritious spread.
Picnics are a great way to celebrate an event. They also offer a chance to relax with friends and family on a beautiful day. But typical picnic foods are often not as healthy as you think. With some careful planning, you can create a nutritious picnic spread.
Choose healthy appetizers
Raw veggies are delicious and easy to pack. Prepare pre-cut bags of celery, carrots, peppers and cucumbers. Skip the ranch dip and use hummus or salsa instead. Stock up on fresh fruit like watermelon, as well as whole grain crackers and low-fat cheese.
Tweak your salads
Make healthy picnic salads by following these tips. Be sure to use:
- Low-fat mayonnaise
- Whole-grain pasta, brown rice or quinoa as your salad base
- More greens or veggies than grains or pasta
- Pre-cooked leftovers like chicken or salmon to top your salad
Bring heart-smart sandwiches
Looking for a healthy meal idea? Consider using whole grain wraps or pitas. Stuff them with vegetables, chicken or lean cold cuts.
Fire up the grill
If your picnic site has a grill, think about alternatives to the usual burgers and hot dogs.
- Grilled lean meat, poultry and fish are lower fat and calorie options.
- Marinate vegetables like corn or zucchini in olive oil, then grill.
Bring along drinks that will be refreshing, but without added sugar. Try the following:
- Ice water or sparkling water.
- Unsweetened iced tea with lemon
- Seltzer mixed with cranberry juice
Indulge your sweet tooth with fruit
Spring and summer are the perfect time for fresh fruit.
- Prep a colorful fruit salad with berries, melon and grapes.
- Bring fresh apples or peaches to snack on.
- United States Department of Agriculture
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
The information provided is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be medical advice or a substitute for professional health care. You should consult an appropriate health care professional for your specific needs.