Making a commitment to exercise
Try to make fitness a part of each day.
Looking for ways to boost your health with diet? Adding in herbs and spices may be the simplest way. Turmeric, ginger, garlic and peppermint are some of the top herbs and spices with health boosting properties. Here are a few things you should know about these four herbs and spices, including tips on how you can add them to your daily diet.
Where to begin?
Start with a plan:
- Start small. Don't set unreasonable goals.
- Select a program you enjoy.
- Schedule it. Set an appointment with yourself.
- Gear up. Buy a good pair of athletic shoes and comfortable clothes.
How much is enough?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that adults get aerobic exercise each week. Aerobic exercise makes you breathe harder and gets your heart pumping faster. Examples include walking and water aerobics.
Adults also need muscle-strengthening exercises at least two days a week. Work on all the major muscle groups with exercises like lifting weights and yoga.
Here are some other ways you can build regular activity in your life:
- Work in your garden.
- Do sit-ups in front of the TV.
- Wash the car by hand.
Be sure to talk with your doctor before starting or increasing your level of activity.
If you track your progress, your workouts will become a healthy habit. Try these helpful tips for sticking with it:
- Vary your routine.
- Work out with a friend.
- Don't stop.
- Reward yourself when you make progress.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
The information provided is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be medical advice or a substitute for professional health care. You should consult an appropriate health care professional for your specific needs.