Bean and veggie chili
A healthy, hearty meal.
Since this chili can be made vegetarian or with meat, you can truly make it your own. You can even double the batch and freeze for a quick future meal.
- 2 TSP canola oil
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef, or extra-lean ground turkey, or 1 10-ounce package frozen meatless crumbles, thawed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium-size red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 carrot, scrubbed and sliced thinly
- 1 15½-ounce can dark or light kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 14½-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 6-ounce can no-salt-added tomato paste
- 2 TBSP chili powder
- 1 TSP ground oregano
- 1 TSP ground cumin
- 1 TSP paprika
- ½ TSP black pepper
- ½ cup fat-free sour cream
- 3 green onions, sliced thinly (optional)
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Combine the oil, meat (or turkey or meatless crumbles), onion and garlic in a large sauce pan over medium heat.
- Cook and stir (about 6–8 minutes) until the onion is wilted and the meat is lightly browned.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the optional ones and the sour cream. Stir well, cover and reduce heat. Simmer gently for 20 minutes. Adjust the chili powder, oregano and black pepper to taste.
- Serve with green onions, cilantro and/or sour cream.
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics/eatright.org