Who we are
Optum Care is a family of more than 53,000 doctors and 1,450 neighborhood clinics across the country. We work together to help over 19 million people live healthier lives — in-person or virtually.
For the doctors on the front lines, it’s not just a job. It’s a calling.
What we do
Our primary focus is primary care. Because of that, we can offer high-quality care at lower cost.
The primary care office should be the first stop for anything medical. It’s the gateway to better health, and home to everything that makes Optum different.
- Case managers who organize all tests and appointments
- Care based on the latest science
- In-person community activities
- Virtual content to help patients live a more active, healthier life
That means we can offer our patients a range of specialists, urgent care centers, surgery centers, mental health professionals and more. And all of them keep in touch with the primary care doctor.
Patients love us
Nine out of 10 say they'd send their friends to Optum.1
Lower cost with Medicare Advantage (MA)
MA can save you up to 30–40% compared to Original Medicare.2
Lots of doctors and locations
Over 53,000 doctors and 1,450 neighborhood clinics.3
Same great care, no travel needed
Nearly 1.5 million virtual visits conducted in 2020.4
Why choose Optum Care
At Optum, we’re not just imagining a world where health care works better for everyone — we’re putting all our resources into creating it. For us, it starts by giving the patient and physician more meaningful time together.
By putting the patient back at the heart of medicine and the physician at its forefront.
We achieve this thanks to our nationwide system of value-based care. And we have the scale and influence to make an impact on our national health system.
- Optum drove $80 million in health care cost savings in 2018.
- Our goal is to keep costs down; no more than 1.5% growth year over year.
- The Optum scale is capable of driving meaningful impact (we serve over 17.5 million patients nationwide).
Above all else, people want to get well. At Optum, this isn't just the patient’s priority, it's ours, too. That’s why our physicians don’t focus on the number of patients they see each day. They work hard to keep each patient as healthy as possible.
We encourage our physicians to build deep relationships with their patients, and spend time to answer every question.
Our goal is to keep patients out of the hospital so they can live healthy, active lives. Our care model tracks results and gives our doctors incentives to deliver better care.
When we do recommend specific care, it must be entirely justified by one simple standard: the patient’s best interest.
Optum Care OptimalCare care process uses data and algorithms to get patients the care that they need. As a result, we've reduced:
- Unneeded low-grade prostate cancer procedures by 70% in mature markets
- Unnecessary stress tests by 20% in mature markets
At Optum, we work hard to keep patients healthy, not just treat them when they’re sick. Our care is always in the best interest of patients’ physical and financial health.
Our efforts toward value-based care are making a meaningful impact. We’ve achieved:
- A 30% lower cost of care in mature markets, compared to traditional Medicare fee-for-service
- The lowest cost per patient in our Riverside Medical Group, compared to other large medical groups in New Jersey
- A significant rise in referrals to highest efficiency providers (22 points after 2.5 months)
We live in an amazing age of rapid discovery. At Optum, our doctors don't just keep up with the latest research. They regularly work with colleagues across the country to find new ways to deliver better care.OR
We’re changing health care for the better.
- Each patient has a care team that works together to create a personalized care plan.
- We offer local care, backed by the latest research.
- We deliver value-based care focused on the best interest of patients' physical and financial health.
Get started now
- Press Ganey patient satisfaction survey, July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020. Group/employed providers for Optum and Optum
Care branded clinics.
- UnitedHealth Group. unitedhealthgroup.com/newsroom/2020/2020-01-21-new-research-ma-ffs.html.
- As of September 2020.
- From March 13–October 30 2020 (1,253,066 video visits and 121,818 phone visits).